1. The room is in a terrible mess; it ________ cleaned.
A) can’t have been
B) mustn’t have been
C) shouldn’t have been
D) wouldn’t have been(A)
2. A well-written composition ________ good choice of words and clear organization among other things.
A) calls on
B) calls for
C) calls up
D) calls off(B)
3. The traditional approach ________ with complex problems is to break them down into smaller, more easily managed problems.
A) to dealing
B) in dealing
D) to deal(A)
4. It has been revealed that some government leaders ________ their authority and position to get illegal profits for themselves.
5. We were struck by the extent ________ which teachers’ decisions served the interests of the school rather than those of the students.
6. Shelly had prepared carefully for her biology examination so that she could be sure of passing it on her first ________.
7. The ancient Egyptians are supposed ________ rockets to the moon.
A) to send
B) to be sending
C) to have sent
D) to have been sending(C)
8. The store had to ________ a number of clerks because sales were down.
A) lay out
B) lay off
C) lay aside
D) lay down(B)
9. All the students in this class passed the English exam ________ the exception of Li Ming.
10. Young adults ________ older people are more likely to prefer pop songs.
A) other than
B) more than
C) less than
D) rather than(D)
1. After the robbery, the shop installed asophisticate alarm system as an insurance________ further losses.
2. ________ the earth to be flat, many feared that Columbus would fall off the edgeof the earth.
A) Having believed
D) Being believed(B)
3. A healthy life is frequently thought to be ________ with the open countryside andhomegrown food.
4. Sir Denis, who is 78, has made it known that much of his collection ________ tothe nation.
A) has left
B) is to leave
D) is to be left(D)
5. Before the first non-stop flight made in 1949, it ________ necessary for all planesto land for refueling.
A) would be
B) has been
C) had been
D) would have been(C)
6. In Britain today women ________ 44% of the workforce, and nearly half themothers with children are in paid work.
A) build up
B) stand for
C) make up
D) conform to(C)
7. ________ might be expected, the response to the question was very mixed.
8. If I correct someone, I will do it with as much good humor and self-restraint as if Iwere the one ________.
A) to correct
C) having corrected
D) being corrected(D)
9. Features such as height, weight, and skin color ________ from individual toindividual and from face to face.
10. I make notes in the back of my diary ________ thing to be mended or replaced.